Vijay Nicole solicits authorship in all areas of academic interest. The following points would act as a guideline for teachers/professionals/or any aspiring writer.
The Book Proposal Form
For any author, the first step towards publishing is to send a proposal to the publisher. Vijay Nicole provides a ready-format proposal called the Book Proposal Form (BPF), which will request you for information like the broader theme of your project, its distinguished features, market information, approximate length (in pages), table of contents, schedule of completion and your own profile. You can download this form from the section ‘Downloads’.
Guidelines to author/s for typescript preparation
- Understand the scope of your work and draft a detailed chapter outline (table of contents) even before you start writing the script.
- While designing the chapter outline, please take a look at the popular books in the market. Do look at the syllabi (if any) coverage of the content with the intended course.
- Please do a comparative study of your work with the popular books in the market. Your competitive edge should not just be the style of writing. Compare your work in terms of topical coverage, organisation of topics, pedagogy and/or any important feature, which distinguishes your work from the rest. Please provide us a comparative chart based on the above criterion.
- You may even get opinion on the content from your mentors, colleagues and friends. Please try to get as much criticisms possible, rather than appreciation. This will help you to develop the content. Incorporate the suggestions provided.
- Download the Book Proposal Form (BPF) from the section ‘Downloads’. Please do fill in the BPF and attach your comparative study chart, detailed table of contents (ToC), three sample chapters (significant of the entire work), along with the Preface. Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for initial evaluation.
Submitting the script
- Please avoid providing handwritten script (manuscript). The typescript should be word-processed with appropriate text, illustrations, diagrams, maps instructional aids and Index.
- Once we confirm our interest in your work and once you are completely satisfied with the draft script, please send the complete typescript to us. It is better to avoid reworking/modifying the content once you submit it to us.
- Please avoid providing typescript in parts and in an unorganised form. Let the typescript be complete in all aspects like preface, detailed content, chapters with appropriate pedagogical features, reference, bibliography etc.
- It is always better that the author draws the figures (using Illustrator/Corel Draw) in a reproducible form. This will avoid the gap between the author/s visualization and the end product.
- Do provide the figures/illustrations as a separate file (say in Corel Draw/illustrator) along with appropriate figure numbers/captions.
- Equations have to be typed using the Equations Editor or any other method in which the equations remain editable. Please check whether the text material has appropriate cross-references.
- Understand that publishing is not an overnight process. Your typescript will have to go through a process of In-house study/analysis, peer reviews, comparative study, market survey, copy-editing, typesetting and two rounds of proofreading before it gets into printing.
- We require your help in the marketing of your book. Provide us with the database of your professional friends, who can influence the sales of your book.
- The author is the biggest salesman for his book. Please do spread the word around of your book to your colleagues and friends that you have published a book. If you are not able to take pride in your work, who else will do?
- Guest lectures / conferences, are good opportunities to publicise your work. Understand that it is an appropriate arena for you to subtly market your book, which a publisher can never attempt because of lack of domain knowledge.
- Get reviews / criticisms / appreciations on the published book from your colleagues and mentors.
- You can have your revision plan ready but provide time for the first edition to penetrate into the market and benefit both of us. Immediate revision after the first print is not desirable.
- For the subsequent revisions it is enough if you send the additions / deletions alone indicating the place of insertion (page no) with respect to the first edition of the book.
Keying in the manuscript – Some Do’s and Don’ts
It is your patience, confidence and trust, which will help us have long-lasting relationship. We are committed to work with you on your projects and help you realize your goals.
||Avoid using Spacebar. For Indenting paragraphs, use the Increase and Decrease Indent buttons on the formatting toolbar.
||Do not use Enter key until you finish a paragraph. Your word-processor will use its word wrap feature to align it. to align it.
||Make all headings Left Justified.
||Do not try to make the right margin even.
||Use boldface / italic features to highlight the heads
||Do not use hyphenation function, unless you are sure about the difference between a hyphen, emdash and an endash.
||Use only one space following a sentence-ending full stop.
||Do not give automatic or manual running heads to your pages.
||Number all the pages, figures, tables and check for cross-references.
||Do not generate reference numbers/footnotes by auto-formatting. Instead manually type them into the text.